A multi-purpose dosing and fluid delivery system of uncompromising quality combined with the simplicity of Apex Fusion software wizards for operations such as:
- 2-part dosing (Calcium and Alkalinity)
- Other additives dosing
- Automatic water changes
- micro-quantity dosing
- delivery of liquid foods and supplements
What's in the Box?
- DOS pump
- 3' Aquabus cable
- Power supply
- 4 meters DOS tubing
So, here’s what the DŌS can do
The DŌS is a multi-purpose Dosing and Fluid Metering System. The DŌS connects to any Apex via its AquaBus connection. The true versatility and functionality of the DŌS comes to life via the software wizards built into Apex Fusion. This takes dosing to a whole new level in terms of ease of use as well as functionality when compared to standalone dosing systems because the DŌS is part of your Apex ecosystem. Not only can you integrate it into other operations and devices you have configured, but we also will be continuing to expand on its capabilities as time goes on via software updates to Apex Fusion.
2-part dosing made easy
The #1 reason people purchase a dosing system for their aquariums is for consistent and easy dosing of 2-part solutions (calcium and alkalinity) to their reef tanks. The most common method for doing this today is to use standalone dosing pumps and run them on a timer using seconds or minutes to determine how much to dose. This is not only confusing, but also prone to inaccuracy. Everyone knows that when measuring a fluid it is done by volume, not time. Every dosing calculators out there uses volume. So, with the DŌS (and the Apex Fusion interface) you simply enter the amount you want of each part of the additives (one on each pump) and what hours of the day you want it delivered. The DŌS then sets up all the dosing intervals within that time period. When that time interval is finished, the exact volume you set has been delivered. It even automatically chooses the slowest speed necessary for the pump so that it minimizes noise.
Water changes – the never ending chore of an aquarium
Hate doing water changes? – everyone does – so they never get done as often as they should. Not only that, water changes are disruptive to the stability of your system since all of that change is happening at once.
With the DŌS all you do is place your empty vessel and your fresh stock of saltwater under your stand. Then, with the Apex Fusion wizard just tell it amount of water you want to change over what length of time and the hours of the day you want it to happen and it figures it all out for you. It will perform an automatic, continuous water change for you. It gets better. If you have our dual optical water sensing accessory Apex Fusion will send you an email or text message letting you know it is time to change out the jugs. Less time pumping, siphoning, and sloshing water and more time enjoying a great aquarium.
Micro-dosing of elements
If you need to dose tiny amounts of a particular solution, element or other fluid (like vodka dosing or Zeovit systems), the DŌS is the perfect solution due to its precision controlled stepper motor. This ability to control pump movement in such a refined manner means that you can dose all the way down to 0.1ml at a time!
How is it built?
When it comes to dosing, it all starts with the peristaltic pump
First, lets talk about the pump hardware. Be aware that not all dosing pumps are built alike. Well, lets clarify that. Almost all OTHER dosing pumps are alike – but most ALL OTHERS are very different from the DŌS.
Nearly all dosing systems on the market today use a standard, DC brush-driven motor. Why? Because it is economical. This is the same motor you might find in your child’s toy car. We thought that was just not adequate for an aquarium where you might have thousands of dollars invested. So, we spent over a year searching and testing pumps and motors and decided on using a pumps with industrial grade stepper motors in the DŌS – the same type of motors used in high end robotics, 3D printing, and medical equipment. So, why does it matter?
Stepper Motors Make all the Difference
With the stepper motor pumps on the DŌS, you have precise control each time you dose. And, you are guaranteed it will stay calibrated pretty much forever. On the other hand, with the standard DC motor pump found in most dosing systems, it cannot dose small quantities with ongoing accuracy and consistency. They also require ongoing calibration to account for the wear of the motor and the mechanisms. When pumps fall out of calibration, they dose either too much or too little – never a good thing considering an overdose to a tank will often be its demise.
Variable Pump Speeds
One of the great features of the stepper motors on the DŌS pumps is that they can be driven at various speeds depending on the purpose for which they are being used. For instance, dosing of vodka may require the slowest possible rotation while a water change use requires a much higher pump speed. The best part is that Apex Fusion wizards automatically select the proper speed based on the use and because of the stepper motor, accuracy is not compromised even at the higher speeds.
Gearing and Drive Mechanism
The DŌS uses a direct drive mechanism that will not slip, it will not strip, it will not grind to a halt. On the other hand, many other peristaltic dosing pumps used for aquariums have gears that can (and do) strip. Or, worse yet, some pumps work by using the friction of rubber rollers on the smooth metal motor shaft to make the pump spin. Foreign matter like salt creep, additives, etc. often get into the drive mechanisms of these pumps and make them fail or pump unknown amounts.
The stepper-motor in the DŌS has a MTBF (mean time before failure) of 5000 hours. Other systems with brush-driven DC motor pumps have lifespans measured of just a few hundred hours of use. This means the pumps on the DŌS may have up to as much as 12x the lifespan of others.
Secure, Large Diameter Tubing Connections
Leak proof fittings are very important, not just because of the possibility of leaking fluid, but also because the leaking of air into a line would cause the pump not to meter the correct amounts. The pumps on the DŌS have sure-fit compression fittings that are virtually leak-proof. Contrast this to other dosing systems on the market that still use dual-barbed fittings that commonly split the tubing and cause leakage of fluids or air.
Larger size tubing means that your pump does not have to work nearly as hard – or stay on for longer cycles. The most popular dosing pumps on the market use tube fittings with the tiny diameter of 1.67mm. The DŌS uses much larger tubing and fittings. In fact, at 3.33mm in diameter, the pump on the DŌS can handle 4x the flow of the most common pump style on the market (pictured). This means that your pump (and motor) will run 1/4 the time to pump the same amount of fluid. Less run time means less wear on the pump mechanism, tubing and motor and extends your dosing pump’s life. Larger diameter fittings also eliminate clogging – a common issue when dosing various elements like Calcium, Alkalinity, or Kalkwasser on smaller tubing pumps.
It doesn’t get easier than this!
In a nutshell using the DŌS is as simple as telling the Apex Fusion DŌS wizard how much fluid (in ml) you want to pump, and over what time you would like it to happen. The DŌS takes it from there and figures out what speed to run the pump and the exact amount of fluid will be dispensed over that timeframe.
Come back soon to see the video of the DŌS in action.
Size (Approx.): 9.5″ x 5″ x 5″
Weight (Approx.): 4 pounds
Lift Height: 24 feet (minimum at MSL)
Suction Height: 24 feet
Flow Rate: Variable (0.1ml – 250ml/min)
Power Requirement: 110/120V or 220/24oV
Requires: Apex, Apex Lite, or Apex Jr.
Why Choose to Shop with Us?
- Pay with Amazon Pay - No need to type in billing, shipping addresses or credit card info, just log in to amazon and select the info you already have saved with amazon to purchase from us! Easy, simple and quick.
- Fast & Free Shipping - No Minimum Purchase, Our Free Shipping option averages 2.3 days in transit.
- Same Day Shipping - All Orders placed before 1 PM EST ship Same Day. Meaning your tracking will actually work the same day as your order.
- Free Stuff - We offer tons of Free Samples, Shirts, Stickers and plenty more just for giving us your business!
- 5% Cash Back Rewards - There are no Preferred Clubs or Groups to Join.
- Free 2 Day Shipping - Free 2 Day Shipping on Products $35+ from select manufactures.
- PayPal Financing - Want to buy a new tank without having to pay for all of it upfront? No Problem, use you PayPal Credit program to spread out the payments.
- Free Returns - Returns of any Items (Both Brand New and USED) within 30 days are Always FREE!
- Apple Pay - You can checkout with Apple Pay, submit your order with your thumbprint and we will never see your payment information. Awesome!
- Military & Civil Service Discount - As a small token of our appreciation, we offer a Military & Civil Servant discount. A Bonus 5% Reward Points on 90% of what we carry. SaltwaterAquarium.com deeply appreciates all military men and women & first responders for their service.
- Automatic Price Matching - Just click the Price Match button under Add to Cart. No need to email your price match.
- Text Message 717.408.8337 Support - No one uses the phone anymore, just text us 717.408.8337. We will do our best to help!
- Live Chat - We offer LIVE WEB CHAT Mon-Fri 9am to 4pm EST. Get instant access to our customer support & your questions answered.
- Credit Card Security - We do not keep any Credit Card Numbers on File. Our checkout page is plugged directly into paypal credit services so we don't even know your card number when you order.
- Website Security HTTPS - Our entire site is HTTPS Secure, not just the checkout page. Your entire browsing session is encrypted and secure. We have an ESV level SSL Certificate which includes business identity authentication, strong 256-bit encryption, 2048-bit root, $1.5M USD warranty & a GeoTrust dynamic Secured Seal trust mark.
Have questions? Just ask - firstname.lastname@example.org or Text Message us at 717.408.8337